a Business as Mission Network:: Turn Good Business and Missions into Great Ministry: Expect Trials - The Little Engine that Could <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d27430628\x26blogName\x3dBusiness+as+Mission+Network::+Turn+Go...\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://businessasmission.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://businessasmission.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d6117473324771524729', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Business as Mission Network:: Turn Good Business and Missions into Great MinistryTurn Good Business and Missions into Great Ministry with News, Resources, and Tools from the leading businesss leaders, authors, pastors around the world

Expect Trials - The Little Engine that Could

Cheryl Bachelder - Former President, KFC Restaurants and Consultant to the Women’s Foodservice Forum - "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2-3

I am an optimist. My favorite childhood story was The Little Engine That Could, the story of the train that climbed the mountain saying, “I think I can, I think I can . . . ”

This mantra characterized my life, and certainly my business career. I wanted to work on the rusty old brands that had lost relevance to their customers. I wanted to inherit a poorly performing team and turn it around. I wanted to be given the impossible goal that had stymied prior leaders. Bring it on.

Then came the trials. While serving as the leader of a large chain restaurant corporation, God saw fit to test me. First, I was diagnosed with cancer and had to undergo surgery and radiation treatments. Then, barely nine months later, I experienced a second health crisis that required surgery and a two-month medical leave.

Simultaneously, the business took a sharp turn south, and nothing that our team put in the marketplace arrested the trend. It was like being in the ring facing a world-class boxer with no training on how to avoid the opponent. I took the hits hard, first on the left cheek, then on the right, then in the gut. I was stunned. I couldn’t steady myself. I thought I would go careening into the ropes.

What was wrong with my perspective? Simply this: I did not expect the trials. I thought I was immune to them. My optimism—a strength in many settings—was now my greatest weakness. The Bible says unequivocally that we will face trials of many kinds. These trials are the intentional plan of God for the refinement of our faith. Trials are God’s way of enrolling us in His character-building program.

Today, I am deeply grateful for these trials in my life. I have been refined by fire: Fire that humbled me and caused me to once again surrender everything to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. This was God’s perfect plan to make me a better witness for Him in the world. As it is eloquently stated in John 9:3, “This happened so that the work of God might be displayed in [my] life.” To God be the glory.

Point to Ponder

Trials are God’s plan to build our character and refine our faith.
Questions to Consider

1. How are you responding to your trials at work and at home? Are you angry, frustrated or disappointed?

2. Can you see how God’s character might be revealed in the way you respond to these difficulties?

3. Have you surrendered these trials to the saving grace of your Savior, Jesus Christ?

From Devotional Ventures, © 2007 by Corey CleekPublished by Regal Books. Used by permission. Allrights reserved.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Justin Forman | 7.11.2009 - 5:58 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment