a Business as Mission Network:: Turn Good Business and Missions into Great Ministry: Stop Learning <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d27430628\x26blogName\x3dBusiness+as+Mission+Network::+Turn+Go...\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://businessasmission.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://businessasmission.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d6117473324771524729', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Business as Mission Network:: Turn Good Business and Missions into Great MinistryTurn Good Business and Missions into Great Ministry with News, Resources, and Tools from the leading businesss leaders, authors, pastors around the world

Stop Learning

Jason Jagard, of Mosaic Church in Los Angeles and adjunct professor at Golden Gate Seminary wrote a great post for Neue and Relevant Magazine that I highly recommend. The article really hits home on the idea of action vs. getting caught up in theory and definitions. Here's first few words and check out the link at the bottom to read the full article.

"I recently got an email from a friend I met a little while back. He asked me a question that I get asked a lot and that I hear others ask a lot and that I’m tempted to ask a lot.

“What books could I read to learn more about…”

Usually after the dot dot dot comes something along the lines of “following Jesus better, growing in my faith, etc.”

My answer is usually different depending on who’s asking me. If someone is brand new in their journey with Jesus it’s important to guide them towards the scriptures. This sounds obvious to people who are familiar with Christian spirituality, but to a new generation of normal Westerners it just isn’t.

But if you’ve known Jesus for a while you’ve been introduced to the scriptures for a while. Parenthetically, maybe that’s the problem. But that will have to wait for another blog.
So after I plugged my friends’ books [Erwin, Eric, Steve, Nancy and anyone else who has the courage to put their thoughts into concrete] I said to my friend something like this:

“I don’t know about books you should be reading, only risks you could be taking.”
Most people I know don’t need to read more books [including myself]. We need to change our lives. Sometimes we need to stop learning and start risking.

Read the rest of the post here: http://www.neueministry.com/2008/12/stop-learning/

Labels: , ,

posted by Justin Forman | 12.22.2008 - 9:31 PM

1 Comments:

I think it's the "all or nothing" flavor of this post that makes me cringe a little. I too can easily fall into the pit of too much theory and not enough "risking". But, let's not feel as though we must sacrifice one in the pursuit of the other. Personally, I hope for a lifetime of both learning and risking.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5:12 PM  

Add a comment